Friday, February 8, 2013

The Organizing Awards and The Plastic Bag Dress

The Organizing Awards 2013, NAPOLA,
Last month it was an honor to be nominated for "Best Green Organizing Service" at The 2013 Organizing Awards. Although I didn't take home the award it was definitely a night to remember. I attended the awards in the past and won in 2009. For years I thought about making my own dress but it was not until I saw the documentary "Bag It" that I found my inspiration. "Bag It" explores our dependency on single use plastics and how they affect us and the environment. Working as a green organizer I encourage my clients to bring their own bags not only to the grocery store but everywhere they shop. 

I knew that making my own dress was going to be a huge undertaking and I could tell my friends were thinking I might end up looking like a crazy bag dress lady. Luckily I think I pulled it off. The top had to be made on me, and was finished right before we left. The bottom I had been working on for a couple of weeks. It was a wonderful evening meeting other organizers and celebrating the organizing industry.  A big thanks to NAPO-LA for pulling the awards together.

Each year, an estimated 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide. That's over one million plastic bags used per minute. Plastic bags can take up to 1,000 years to break down, so even when an animal dies and decays after ingesting a bag, the plastic re-enters the environment, posing a continuing threat to wildlife. Less than 5 percent of plastic grocery bags are recycled in the U.S.

I'm looking forward to next year and brainstorming on what I'll use to construct my dress. 

1 comment:

  1. How about next year you use toilet paper rolls. Or, bottle caps!

    Whatever it is, I can't wait to see it!

    Nonnahs

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...